LACMA and Tim Burton

Today, I held an RA event to take a group of 30 people to the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. It was great to have so many people come out to one of my events. The museum itself is really big. It has 7 buildings with different things in them ranging from contemporary art to the Renaissance to Asia. I do find myself thinking about London again though. I've been to so many bigger and very impressive museums in Europe that it's kind of hard to compare. I mean I saw the biggest collection of Renaissance art in the world at the Uffitizi Gallery in Florence. The British Museum has one of the biggest collections of artifacts in the world, and the V&A had some great stuff too. It's just really hard to look at a museum here and think it's as good as those were. Still, it was really interesting, and I'll definitely have to go back when I have more time to check it all out. I saw a big blue balloon animal dog and the Urban Light art installation outside the museum is cool (it's columns of huge, old light poles).

The Tim Burton exhibit itself was really cool. They had sketches of his, some models from his movies (Jack Skellington!), some of the costumes (the Edward Scissorhands glove and costume!!!!), and some short films. It was packed, and it was a lot bigger an exhibit than I thought. The exhibit was so big that most of the group kind of split up once we went inside. There was one section that was lit by blacklight and had some glowing paintings and a huge model of one of his sketches. The paintings were acrylic on black velvet! The cape from Sleepy Hollow was there as was some Batman costumes.

I hope my residents had a good day. I did enjoy the time out of the house. We got to see some pretty cool things in the Tim Burton exhibit, and I would like to go back to see the rest of the museum later. There is a sculpture garden I'd like to look at, which reminds me that I need to go back to deCordova again in MA and take some pictures there.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment